If you are interested in getting driving license in the State of Victoria, Australia, you should follow the following steps:-

  1. Sit for learners test
  2. Practice driving
  3. Sit for Hazard perception test
  4. Sit for practical driving test

Learners Test

This test is theory test. Before sitting for this test, you should read ‘Road to Solo Driving’ handbook. The test comprises of 32 questions, and you need to get at least 78% to pass the test. Note that you have to be at least 16 years of age in order to sit for learners test.

Once you have passed your learners test, your photo will be taken on the spot and your L license is issued on the spot.

If you wish to have a read at the handbook, click here.

For some practice questions, click here.

Once you get your ‘L’ license, you can drive a car under the conditions that ‘L’ sign is displayed (both front & back), and a full license driver or overseas license driver is required to be sitting next to you when you drive.

For migrants who recently come to Australia, passport may only be your valid identity card. However, once you have an ‘L’ license, you do not have to bring your passport around for proof of identity, you can use your ‘L’ license. Alternatively, if you do not want to sit for the test, you can just get a Key Pass from your nearest police office. To get a Key Pass, you still have to pay. So I would suggest getting an ‘L’ license instead of Key Pass.

Practice Driving

Once you get your ‘L’ license, you can start practice driving. Depending on your age, you may be required to complete a logbook. Basically, the logbook is to confirm that you have driven in all conditions such as at night, wet weather, dry etc. If you do not have a family member who has a full Australian driving license, you can buy a driving lessons. Normally, the lessons cost approximately $50 dollars an hour. If you buy in a package, it might be cheaper.

Hazard Perception Test

Once you have practised driving, you can sit for hazard perception test. In this test, you will be test when an action is safe to be done. Click on the screen when it is safe. Note that there are questions when you do not have to click on the screen (i.e. it is not safe to perform the task). So, don’t be tricked.

You should sit for your hazard perception test before your practical driving test. You are not allowed to do your practical test before your hazard perception test. So, allow approximately one week between your hazard perception test and your practical driving test.

Practical Driving Test

Once you passed your hazard perception test, you may proceed to practical driving test.

Note that Vicroads does not supply a car for your practical driving test. You either need to have your own car or use your driver instructor’s car for the test. Your driving instructor is allowed to sit next to you during the test, however s/he is not allowed to give you any hint  or communicate with you during the test.

The test is divided into two parts.

In the first part of the test, you will be ask to drive to a quiet road, normally near Vicroads centre, you will need to follow instructions from the Vicroads officer. Normally, they ask you to change lane, turn left/right at intersection, reverse parking, and three point turn, but may not be limited to this.

Once you pass the test, you will proceed to the second part of the test. If you fail, you will not proceed to this stage. You will then be instructed to drive in a busier roads and perform the instructions, turn left, turn right, change lane, etc. The officer will also check your speed limit. If you are 5km/h above the speed limit, then you fail. Do not drive to slow as well as it may affect the traffic but drive close to the speed limit. You need to beware of the speed limit. The speed limit for residential area is 50km/h while shopping area is 40km/h. Keep an eye on the sign.

Once you passed, you will not get your license on the spot, but you will be given a piece of paper saying that you passed the test and you are allowed to drive. Your license should be ready in a week or so.

Note that you do not get your full license right away, you will get a ‘P’ license (probationary). If you have an overseas license for at least 3 years, you may convert to full license upon passing the test.